Although the Epic Games Store may not support Linux, at least it supports the Unreal engine, and it seems to have received quite some attention in the official Unreal 4.25 engine release released today.
In addition to the usual SDK updates that you usually see in each version, the navigation through the version information was actually quite interesting. This is not only a list of patches, but also a large number of brand new patches on the Linux side, and it seems that a lot of attention has been paid to them. Some are: Support for the Linux MDL Importer for Unreal Datasmith, Linux support for off-screen volcano rendering, migration to the new llvm clang 9.0.1 v16 toolkit and more.
It is also very nice to see a Linux icon that is big and clear enough to look like a supported platform:
Want to see a complete list of Linux enhancements in Unreal Engine 4.25? We’ve put everything together in a handy spoiler for you. We have removed some that were unrelated to the usual Linux desktop, such as AArch64.
- Error Correction : Fixed a bug that did not allow to restore editor windows when they were minimized.
- Error Correction : Install UserTempDir for Linux in $TMPDIR or return to /var/tmp
- Error Correction : The missing space has been added to the SanitizerInfo line.
- Error Correction : Path name of the module implemented for Unix to avoid a fixed default path.
- Error Correction : Addref Volcanic memory allocation so that it is released when it is not used by the framebuffer, and the framebuffer creates a view directly on the texture surface, but does not contain the allocated memory If the texture was released before the framebuffer was destroyed, we could use it after problems with free fonts.
- Error Correction : Fixed address cleaner built under Linux.
- Error Correction : Reduce the size of the static zeroRHI buffer using the dynamic buffer Reduce the size of the selection and eliminate potential overflow of the silent buffer
- Error Correction : An error was fixed that prevented a shell script from processing arguments in quotes.
- Error Correction : Send by default 127.0.0.1 for Linux/Mac and also for UnrealInsights. Since no event can be closed, there is no need to search for it.
- Error Correction : Added Win64 platform authentication for VisualStudioDTE.
- Error Correction : The resolution of the Linux build with uppercase and lowercase letters is fixed.
- Error Correction : Interrupt construction for repaired Linux-Build (SEnumComboBox.h -> SEnumCombobox.h).
- Error Correction : Probably a race when two threads tried to create a folder under Linux.
- Error Correction : The quoting of commands in the Linux command chmod has been corrected.
- Error Correction : Replace GetPortableCallstack to avoid 1 MB distributions in the Alarm Manager.
- Error Correction : The VulkanLinuxPlatform RenderOffScreen protocol has been removed.
- Error Correction : Fixed deviation in Linux construction (including paths with backslash)
- Error Correction : Fixed messages about unused UnrealBuildTool variables.
- Error Correction : The ISPCTexComp dll that is missing when downloading projects from another directory has been repaired. Correct this warning when running UE4Editor : Log core: Warning: running failed: /epic/UE4.git/Engine/ThirdParty/IntelISPCTexComp/Linux64-Release/libispc_texcomp.so: can not : There is no such file or folder LogTextureFormatIntelISPCTexComp : Warning: download not possible …/../motor / third party /IntelISPCTexComp/Linux64-Release/libispc_texcomp.so
- Error correction: ensures that the start time of events for all nodes is now longer than the last end time
- Error Correction : GpuProfilerEvent time is now pressed on allowed values, SanitizeEventTree does not press >= at previous root start times, so in TraverseEventTree() we press statements for: lastStartTime >= GpuProfilerEvents [Root]. Unused variables have also been deleted.
- Error Correction : Now use secure_getenv() instead of getenv().
- This is new: The missed warning about the toolchain now appears only under Linux + Win64.
- This is new: Added information about the Linux cartridge making disinfectant, if installed.
- This is new: Creation of nvTriStrip and ForsythTriOptimizer with the EU clan toolchain (link from libstdc++) The stdc++ dependency for MeshBuilderCommon has been removed.
- This is new: In the section VulkanLinuxPlatform.h the variable VULCAN_ENABLE_DUMP_LAYER has been added.
- This is new: The system compiler is no longer the default rollback under Linux. Now we only check and use the system compiler when the ForceUseSystemCompiler command line has been passed. Also, the epic compiler will not be used by default if ForceUseSystemCompiler is specified and the system compiler is not found.
- This is new: Move the Linux architectures to the submenu of the Linux package project. Added the entry PlatformSubMenu ini in the DataDrivenPlatformInfo section and merged it with FPackageProjectMenu::MakeMenu().
- This is new: Added more descriptive bug reports for the Linux Toolchain Not Found SDK in three cases:
- .$ LINUX_MULTIARCH_ROOT=/tmp/foobar make BlankProgram bash /epic/UE4-23.git/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh The development of BlankProgram Linux solves a controversial case in filenames. Execution of the monoblock programme Empty building . It is impossible to find the Linux SDK toolkit under /tmp/foobar/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu. ERROR: Get the BuildPlatform : No brand of BuildPlatform for Linux found: *** [Makefile:183.] [Empty program] Error 5.
- Create BlankProgram ARGS=forceusesystemcompiler bash /epic/UE4-23.git/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh BlankProgram Linux Development forceusesystemcompiler fixes a controversial case in filenames. Execution of the monoblock programme Empty building . It is impossible to find the system compiler (specified -ForceUseSystemCompiler). ERROR GetBuildPlatform : No brand of BuildPlatform for Linux found: *** [Makefile:183.] [Empty program] Error 5.
- LINUX_MULTIARCH_ROOT= create BlankProgram bash /epic/UE4-23.git/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Linux/Build.sh Linux Development solves a controversial case in filenames. Execution of the monoblock programme Empty building . It is not possible to find the tools in the Linux SDK. Start Setup.sh. ERROR GetBuildPlatform : No brand of BuildPlatform for Linux found: *** [Makefile:183.] [Empty program] Error 5.
- This is new: Added support for Vulkan offshore rendering under Linux, which is enabled by the flag -RenderOffScreen. This solves a number of slate problems when displaying from outside the screen.
- This is new: Upgrade to a new tool set llvm clang 9.0.1 v16.
- It’s new: bGdbIndexSection bool added to LinuxToolChain.
- This is new: Now Linux still uses the ILD left with Clang v9 and higher.
- This is new: You can now generate the sections .debug_pubnames and .debug_pubtypes in a format suitable for conversion to the GDB index. This option is only useful if you use a linker that can create the GDB version 7 index.
- This is new: Extra protection for the bulb of the bGdbIndexSection.
- This is new: The new version of python2.7 for Linux now supports zlib, bz2 and ssl.
- This is new: Use msbuild in Mono for Linux if you are using an installed copy and Mono is >= 5.0
- This is new: Batch storage of ini files is now possible.
As far as support for the Vulcan API is concerned, it seems that enormous improvements have been made in this direction as well. More than 50 enhancements related only to Vulkan, including new features such as the integration of DXC (DirectX Shader Compiler) into the Vulkan Shader Compiler, virtual texture flow support for Vulkan on Linux and even some improvements to Vulkan VR.
This is interesting because more and more games are coming to Stages, which use Debian Linux and Vulcan, so there will probably be a lot of interest and generally improve the Unreal engine on Linux. See here the announcement of the press release.
This article is from GamingOnLinux.com.